With the Christmas season upon us, and parties happening all around us, how can we enjoy adult beverages without the dreaded hangover the next day (or two)?
- First, recognize that healthy nutrition habits throughout the day will help alleviate most of our hangover symptoms from a night of over-indulgence. And over-indulgence is not limited to alcohol beverages. Overeating sugar can make us feel terrible the morning after, as well.
- Hydrate, Hydrate, HYDRATE!!! If you follow none of these other guidelines, at least drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables throughout the day, especially green leafy vegetables. You need to take as many steps as possible to ensure you are getting plenty of vitamins and minerals. You may be thinking, “I don’t like vegetables.” I hear you. Think of eating your veggies as “pay to play.” Your price for playing at tonight’s party is eating a big bowl of vegetable and/or fruit salad during the day.
- Drink a glass of ice water when you first arrive at the party. This will help you stay hydrated, allow you to mingle with a glass in your hand, and delay (for just a bit) your upcoming over-indulgence.
- Stick with clear liquor and/or whiter wines. Darker liquors and red wines have ingredients that are known to cause many hangover symptoms.
- Limit the addition of sugary mixers with your liquor. This is an excellent idea for limiting your total calorie intake, as well.
- In between adult beverages, have a glass of ice water. This will keep you hydrated.
- Walk around and mingle. Walking keeps us more aware of how much we have had to drink.
- Enjoy the conversation more than your adult beverage.